Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Hello! Welcome to my humble little blog. :) I'll be posting updates & recipes of my cupcakes, plus some of my favorite recipes from around the web. I hope you enjoy it!

Anyway, what could be more perfect than to post the very first cupcake recipe I created? I must say, my head totally swelled up considerably when these cupcakes turned out so well. It's not real strawberry...unfortunately. Buuut, it's a simple recipe to follow, & eventually I will tweak it to have real strawberries. So bear with me for now. :) (also, I promise my food photography skills will improve...soon. So, um, yeah, forgive me?) 

STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES
 Strawberry Cupcakes:
1 ¼ cup flour 
1 tsp. baking powder 
1/4 tsp. salt 
1 1/2 tsp. meringue powder (optional)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. strawberry extract
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Dark Chocolate Buttercream:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tsp. cocoa powder 
2 Tsp. cool whip
1 Tsp. milk 
2-3 cups powder sugar
pink pearl sprinkles, to decorate

Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 1 cupcake pan with liners.
In a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, salt, and meringue powder; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, until combined.
Add extracts and food coloring, beating until combined.
Combine sour cream and cool whip in a cup.
Add dry ingredients and wet mixture, one after another, beginning and ending with flour.
Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
Fill liners about 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool completely on racks once out of the oven.
Buttercream:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and vanilla, until fluffy.
Add cocoa powder and cool whip.
On low speed add powder sugar, half a cup at a time. Add milk until reaching desired consistency.
Frost cupcakes, adding chocolate chips and sprinkles to each. (Make sure to add the decorations right after icing, so it will set with the buttercream.)
Enjoy! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment